When it comes to working out, music is everything! It can get you pumped up and in the mood to give your workout all you’ve got. It can get you excited and full of energy. Music can even make you look forward to your sweat session. It really is key to enjoying your fitness regime. With many of us having the goal of weight loss for this new year, I thought I’d share with you all my favorite workout songs of the moment. I tend to listen more to pop, soft rock, and R&B so if those are your favorite genres, then you might just find some in this list that will become your new favorites. They also range from 90s hits to today’s pop favorites. I hope you enjoy 😊🎶
“Why Can’t I?”, Liz Phair
“She’s So High”, Tal Bachman
“There She Goes”, Sixpence None The Richer
“White Flag”, Dido
“Someday”, Sugar Ray
“Only Human”, Jonas Brothers
“Turn Off The Lights”, Nelly Furtado
“Pieces Of Me”, Ashlee Simpson
“Invisible”, Ashlee Simpson
“Sparks”, Hilary Duff
“Island In The Sun”, Weezer
“Sue Me”, Sabrina Carpenter
“Dance Monkey”, Tones and I
“Circles”, Post Malone (clean)
“Take Off All Your Cool”, Sabrina Carpenter
“In My Bed”, Sabrina Carpenter
“Bad Time”, Sabrina Carpenter
“R.E.M”, Ariana Grande
“Rock Bottom”, Hailee Steinfeld
“Look At Her Now”, Selena Gomez
“Sign Of The Times”, Harry Styles
“Easier”, 5 Seconds of Summer
“thank u, next”, Ariana Grande (clean)
“Electric Lady”, Janelle Monae
“Boots”, Grayson Chance
“Gonna Get Over You”, Sara Bareilles
“Workin’ On It”, Meghan Trainor
“Sparks”, Hilary Duff
“How Do You Sleep”, Sam Smith
“I’m Like A Bird”, Nelly Furtado
“Youngblood”, 5 Seconds Of Summer
“Goodbye” (clean), Post Malone
“That Girl”, Lindsay Lohan
“Play That Song”, Train
“Needy” (clean), Ariana Grande
“N.A.S.A”, Ariana Grande
“Boyfriend” (clean), Ariana Grande
“Beat Of My Heart”, Hilary Duff
“We Are Young” (clean), FUN
“Stranger”, Hilary Duff
“Lush Life”, Zara Larson
“Me Too”, Meghan Trainor
Did you find any songs here that you already like or are excited to give a try? Please let me know in the comments below and let me know some of your favorites too. I’m always looking for new music to listen to.
Every year, as some of you may know, I love to set goals for myself. I’m a very goal oriented person. I write down what I want to do and I then I just do it (as Nike would say 😂) So I thought I’d share with you guys my plans for this new year. Maybe it’ll help to inspire some out there and in the end, I’d love to hear your goals too. I’d love to get some new ideas. So without further ado, let’s get right into it.
First, I’d like to continue to grow my blog. I’ve been posting regularly now for a few months and taking it really seriously. I’ve seen growth even in that short amount of time so I know that if I keep at it, then I’ll soon reap the benefits. So I just want to continue posting every week, at least once, but two times would be a dream. This is my job now so I want to treat it as one.
My second goal would be to lose at least 10 more pounds. I’m guessing I have about 15 left to lose but I really can’t tell. I know though, that losing 10 would make a huge difference and would leave me with not much extra weight. So I feel that if I can knock out those 10 pounds, it will cause a huge change in the way my body looks and from there I shouldn’t have much more to lose. For those who don’t know, I’ve been losing weight for 4 months now and in that time I’ve lost 22 pounds. It’s really transformed the way I look. I’m so proud of my hard work. But there’s still a bit more I’d like to lose so I can feel my very best and be my most confident self.
Next, I would like to develop a hair care routine and at the same time, grow my hair a few inches more too. I have never had the best hair. And it’s not because I have difficult hair or anything, I’ve just never really known how to care for it. I’ve always had a frizzy head of hair and it was pretty much always a hot mess. It wasn’t until this past year or so where I’ve been using hot tools on my hair and actually getting more of a smoother, shinier look. But now I see the heat damage starting to creep up on me. It’s nothing serious, just a bit on the ends. But I know that If I don’t take care of it now, it’s just going to get worse. So it’s time to finally implement a hair care routine. I’m talking hair serums, deep conditioning, learning to style without heat, the works. I want silky, gorgeous, shiny, long hair, but I know it’s going to take work to get it there. That starts this year!
I also want to start reading books again regularly. I’ve always loved reading ever since I was a kid. But with all the many books we had to read in High school, reading during my leisure time was the last thing I wanted to do. Then after school ended, I got married and soon after got pregnant so all my time and energy went towards my baby. But now that the baby stage is over, I’m finding I finally have that vigor back and with it, a desire to read and to consume knowledge. I want to better myself, I want to get to the root of personal issues I have, I want to learn new things. I can do all of that with reading. I’m starting to get that hunger for devouring books back so I want to feed it before it goes away.
I’m really looking forward to going on daily walks once the weather warms up. We just moved into our new home a few weeks ago so right now we live by a canal. There’s a beautiful path that goes all along it with flowers and greenery that I just can’t wait to walk. It’s still pretty cold here in California, but as soon as the weather warms up, even just a little bit, I plan on walking out there. Ever since losing my weight, I’ve been keeping active everyday. I want to keep that up though even when all my weight is gone and I think walking outdoors is a fun, relaxing way to do so. So as soon as I’m able to, I’ll be out there.
Another thing I’m really looking forward to is upgrading my closet. Now that I’ve lost a good amount of weight, everything is pretty loose and baggy on me. For some clothes that’s perfectly alright, like a sweatshirt for example. But for a fitted dress, it just doesn’t look right when you’re swimming in it. I’ve been buying myself a few items here and there but only if they’re on clearance. That’s simply because I’m still in the process of losing weight. So although I do want some clothes that fit me now, I also don’t want to invest too much into them since I know they won’t be fitting me for long. With the clothes I’ve been buying, I’m starting to get a bit more adventurous with them. I’m not buying just regular old skinny jeans. Instead I’m opting for a fit and flare sort of pant that cinches at the waist and opens wide toward the ankles. I don’t want to just wear casual clothes anymore. I want them to be fashionable and just my style. I don’t want to play it safe. I’ve also been wearing heels more which is something I’ve never done before. It’s just part of my everyday look now. So I’m excited to add to my heel collection (right now I just have 2 😂)
Another goal I have is to have friends and family over a couple of times every month. Since moving into our new home, we’ve had people come over pretty much twice a week, every week. I want to make sure we keep to that pattern and throw fun parties for our friends too. I have a lot of kid themed parties that I can’t wait to have. Not many people throw those parties where we live but I think it’d be so fun for Lulu and her friends. I’ve always been so shy when it comes to having people over. I just always over think it and worry if people are having a good time. But my husband has helped me a lot with not over thinking and as I get older too, I’m less self conscious and shy. I love being hospitable now and I just can’t wait for all the parties we’ll throw and all the memories we’ll make too.
I also want to continue homeschooling my daughter. She’s only a toddler so she’s not technically enrolled in home-school; we’re just practicing. But I want to make sure that I keep up with it, work on it daily, and am seeing progress in what my daughter is learning. Right now she knows her shapes, colors, ABC’s, she can match, and draw really good. I think that’s all so good especially since she’s not even 3 yet. I’d like to teach her phonics next (the sounds each letter makes) and then from there we’ll work on forming words and eventually reading. I think we’re making really good progress. But like I said, I want to work hard to stick with it. If I’m going to be homeschooling her, then her education is in my hands and that’s something I take really seriously. So I just want to make sure that it’s something I can honestly do.
This last one is actually something I’ve been wanting to do ever since I was a kid. I want to maybe write a book this year. Crazy, right! I’m not talking about just an e-book. I want it to actually be a physical book that you can touch and feel. I’d like to write and illustrate it myself to. I would probably start off with a children’s book since it’s a genre I love, I have a daughter of my own who I could read it to, and I love to draw cartoons which would be perfect for a book of that category. It might be a bit of a stretch since I’m still trying to get my blog off the ground; I may have to focus on that first. But I’ve found websites that you can use to help you write and publish your own book. I think it’d be amazing if I could make that a reality this year.
Those are my goals for this coming new year. They’re definitely different from the ones I’ve had in previous years; they’re new and exciting. I’m looking forward to it all. Please do let me know any goals you have for this new year. I’d love to get even more ideas. I just wanted to mention too, if you guys are enjoying my blog and would like to help it grow, please subscribe down below to my weekly newsletter. You’ll basically be emailed a notice only once a week letting you know that I’ve posted something new on my blog. Don’t feel obliged to do it but if you like the things I write and would like to see more, I would deeply appreciate you taking the time to subscribe. Thank you so much 😊🌻
Last week was part 1 of this series where I shared 12 things I’ve learned in my life. Since the list was so long, I decided to break it up into two posts. This is part 2. It’s heavy and it’s deep…so get ready. 🌻
13. Let God guide you in life. Sorry to include religion if that’s not your thing, but I just need to briefly say that God is the reason why I am so happy today and why my life is where it is. I’ve been in the trenches and in the lowest of lows and God helped me to get out of that. He helped guide me to true happiness in life and avoid paths in life that I almost went down but just would’ve given me misery. So I just have to quickly give thanks and credit to God himself. I wouldn’t be where I am now without him.
14. Figure our what it is you want to do in life so that all your decisions can help lead you there. I know it’s easier said than done but maybe write down a list of things that interest you and perhaps actual jobs you can do surrounding those things. Or if marriage is a major goal for you, think of the qualities you want in a life long mate. That way you can be sure to search that out in the men you talk to and if they aren’t what you’re looking for, you can end it with them and move on. At least then you won’t be wasting your time. Try and think of where you want to be in 5 or 10 years from now so you can set goals that will bring you there.
15 You need to take care of yourself if you want to help care for others. This is a lesson that was especially engraved in me once I had my daughter. You can not serve from an empty cup. You will just find yourself burnt out, exhausted, and constantly irritated. It doesn’t take too much to care for yourself either; eat healthy meals, do your hair, take a hot shower, do a little makeup (if that’s your thing), and most importantly get your rest. You can’t expect a car on empty to go very far so prioritize your sleep if you want to get anything done.
16. Focus on strength training, not cardio. I see so many people, young and old, who workout so much or eat very little but still have a flat butt, lanky arms, and just overall not the shape they want. I wish I could just tell them that all they need is some strength training. And I’m not talking about 2 pound dumbbells; I’m talking about 20 pounds. Strength training has helped give me the curves I have, its given my arms shape, it’s given me structure and definition in my face and body, a sculpted back, abs, and so much more. You can see all my muscle definition even though I still have some weight to lose and that’s because of strength training. Some people believe that once they lose the fat everything will be toned, but the truth is that you need strength training to give you that definition. If you have to choose one over the other, I’d say skip out on the cardio and focus on the weights. And I know a lot of people fear getting bulky, having a thick neck, and large shoulders. Trust me, I get it. I don’t like that look either. The thing is though, it takes a lot of focused effort, a specific kind of diet, and really heavy lifting to attain that bulky look. So it’s not just going to happen on it’s own overnight.
17. You don’t need to keep anyone toxic in your life. Whether that be family or a friend that you’ve known for a really long time. Don’t feel obliged to keep anyone in your life who’s constantly bringing you down, causing problems in your life, and who is overall a negative influence in your life. That’s draining and exhausting. You don’t need that.
18. Never look to a guy to make you feel whole. If you do, you’re heart will always be in their hands. If they cheated on you or hurt you, you may believe that’s what you deserved. Don’t let any other person define you. Be whole enough on your own. Be complete on your own. That way if a guy comes into the picture, he will just add to your happiness. If he is the only reason for you to be happy, then you will constantly be unsteady because any little thing he does could make your whole earth shatter. I know it’s easier said than done. This is something I had to learn too but it’s necessary and vital. We can’t rely on someone else for our happiness because what would we do if one day they’re gone? You can’t spend your days with that anxious thought always in the back of your head. Look within yourself to see why you don’t feel whole on your own. Why do you feel the need to be validated by someone else? Once you answer those questions, you can start on the road to inner happiness and satisfaction. People are unpredictable so you wouldn’t want your whole life to lie in the hands of someone else.
19. Love is far superior to romance. I know that may be hard to believe, especially with the way movies make it out to be. But trust me, love is so much better and is long lasting. Romance is so quick lived and often dies out. You can certainly have romance and be deeply in love with your spouse, but often that takes more effort since you’ve guys have been together so long and its not the beginning stage of your relationship. Often times, as ladies, we can be suckers for romance (I know I am). It can sweep us off our feet and blind us to any red flags or toxic behavior that the guy may be exhibiting. But as someone who has experienced both, I have to tell you that the truth is love is the better option. It’s everlasting. Love is there for you when you’re at your worst moments in life. Love is there to support you and help you through life. That’s what a guy does when he loves you. The romantic guy often just wants to be there for the good parts and as soon as you’re having a hard time, they’re gone. And of course I’m not saying this is true of all romantic guys. It’s possible for a guy to be both in love with you and also romantic. But I’m talking more about those guys where that’s all they really offer. They’re a smooth talker, know just what to say, and are very romantic, but it doesn’t go any further than that. But sometimes because we love the romance so much, we’ll ignore the fact that he’s not so great as an actual boyfriend. And that leads me to my next point.
20. Don’t ignore the warning signs and the red flags! Often times we may be so head over heels for a guy and love the way they make us feel that we ignore all the ways they’re bad for us. We live for those high points in the relationship because it makes us feel like we’re walking on air. But be wary. Keep your eyes open. From my own experience, the most romantic, smooth talking guys were actually really terrible people and I realized that with the deeper I dug. I found out that they were going around talking to so many other girls in just the same way; they didn’t really care about me personally. That is a terrible person who is not going to change just for you. He just doesn’t respect women as a whole and he shows that in the way he acts. Love is just a game for people like that. It builds their ego knowing they can get so many girls and they usually don’t care if you get hurt in the process. It makes him feel good having the reputation of a “heart-breaker”. But often times we may still stick around though because he says the most perfect things and makes you feel incredible. But look beneath the surface. Those are just words; anyone can talk but it’s a whole other thing to walk. The fact that he’s not giving you his full attention and toys around with other girls hearts says a lot about what he thinks of you. He doesn’t think you’re worth it. He feels that you’re just worth part of his time. Don’t try and stick around and hope that he’ll change because more than likely that’s just the way he’s gonna stay. If he’ll disrespect you now, he’ll continue to do it. The honeymoon stage of when you first meet a person is supposed to be a time where you’re really trying to impress the other person and put your best foot forward. But if he’s treating you so negatively now, I’d be scared to see just how ugly it’ll get as years pass and he get’s even more comfortable with you. I want you to see that and not go any further with him. See the warning signs and run for the hills. (I’m sorry if this came off as harsh but when you’re in this situation, sometimes you just need someone to be blunt and give it to you straight. It can be so easy to overlook those things but if 5 years down the road you’re married to this guy and have children with him, it won’t be so cute having him still act like this. You’ll be kicking yourself wondering why you ever stayed with him. I just want you to avoid all that pain and regret.)
21. Don’t allow social media to break up your relationship. I’ve heard that many couples have actually divorced over it too. That’s so sad to me. Understand that social media is not real life. You’re relationship with your partner is far more important (and real) than anything on your phone. If it bothers them that you follow a certain person or like certain posts, just stop doing it. I’ve heard of couples who will fight that to the core. They’ll say “well it’s my right to do it. You can’t tell me what I can and cannot do.” and the list goes on. Why be so adamant about following certain people like that? Why is that so much more important to you than how you’re mate is feeling? Social media is whatever to me. I use it mainly as a business tool and to share photos with family. Any accounts I follow are just for fun. I really don’t care if my husband wanted me to delete all my accounts today, I would just do it. Social media is just not important to me. And the fact that people would have actual arguments with their loved one because they don’t want to unfollow a certain person? That’s unbelievable. Just remember that at the end of the day social media is not a person. So if your mate were to leave you over it, you would be all alone. And for what? It’s just not worth it. Let your pride go, let your ego down, and just listen to your mate’s feelings. Make their happiness a priority far before social media.
22. You can be body positive and still want to lose weight. I know this is a big debate, it often times causes arguments, and everyone has their own opinion on it. Here’s mine: yes, I believe you can still lose weight while also loving yourself and your body. You don’t have to hate your body in order to lose weight. Just recently I’ve lost 22 pounds and am still trying to lose about 10 pounds more. Even at the beginning of my weight loss journey, I still thought I was cute. I was never repulsed or disgusted with myself. And when it came to losing weight, I never resorted to starving myself or putting myself on a super restrictive diet that made me want to gag. I think often times, that may have been the experience of others when they first tried losing weight (I know I did the same thing when I was 12) so I think that’s what they relate to when it comes to losing weight, as if that’s the only way that it can be done. I would actually argue that I’m showing my body more love by trying to get rid of extra weight that is only causing health problems. I’m eating healthier and making sure I’m more active throughout the day. I think caring for my body in that way is much more loving.
23. And finally number 23! I should make this one good since it’s the last one, right? Ok here it goes: always do what’s right. I know that sounds so cheesy, so dull, and boring. But hear me out. Often times when you’re trying to be morally and ethically good as a person, it can be hard. It can be especially hard when we see people who are doing things so wrong and bad in life and yet seem to get away with it and even prosper. But the truth is, we will always pay for our actions in the end. Sooner or later those consequences will be knocking on our door. For example, if you did bad, cheated on your mate, and thought that they would never find out if you never told, guess what. Those things will always, always come out. You will face those consequences sooner or later. You can’t avoid them. Or if you did right in life, you will see good things come your way. You will avoid drama, arguments, and a lifetime of chaos by doing things right. In my life, I have always made the right decisions, I was always the good girl. At times it felt like why, why do I have to work so hard at doing good when this person is doing so many terrible things and yet seems to be prospering. Again, the truth will always come out. Years later I now see it. I see the misery that is their life, how they are struggling, and are alone due to their wrong behavior, and I see how everything in my life is seeming to align all at the same time. Everything is just right and just as I want it to be in life. I’m not trying to brag, that’s why I’m keeping it real vague and brief. But just know that those people who are doing wrong, even if you can’t see it now, they are (or will soon be) paying for their course in life. It may be something that takes years and years for them to fix (and sometimes it may be something that they’ll just have to struggle with for the rest of their lives). So don’t feel that it is in vain that you do things right. Know that soon you will see the reward for all your hard work and then you’ll be so grateful that you made the decisions you did and avoided so many problems in life.
So guys, there you have it: 23 things I’ve learned in my life. I hope you can take away at least one tip from this that you found helpful. In my life I’ve learned so many things, even as a young person. A big part of that is listening to the experiences of others. So please be open to hearing what older and wiser ones have to say. They’re just trying to help you avoid mistakes that they possibly have made in life or have seen others make. Then that way you can avoid so much hurt in your life. Weigh each decision out carefully. It can be so quick to make a decision that may impact you for the rest of your life so think things through. I’d love to hear from you guys and hear any bits of wisdom that you have. Please share! 🙂
For as long as I can remember, I’ve always looked a mess. I was overweight with cystic acne all along my jaw and down my neck, my hair was always a frizzy mess, and I sometimes suffered with b.o. I would always look up to the beautiful women who always seemed to have it together. They were poised, confident, so fashionable and cool. Everyone wanted to be their friend. I always knew though that I had it in me to be just as great. So from the age of 12 years old, I started my transformation. It has been 10 years in the making but I now can share with you all how I’ve learned to look good from head to toe. Here’s how I learned to be the most confident version of myself:
We’ll start from the top and work our way down. So first thing is your hair. You’re going to want to learn how to style it. Whether you want to use hot tools or keep it au natural is up to you. Just learn how to work with your hair and style it in a way so it doesn’t look frizzy. I personally like to use hot tools for my hair. I only do it twice a week and wash my hair every 3 days. I’ll usually use a curling iron for voluminous waves but when I’m in the mood for it, I’ll use a straightener. You’ll also want to make sure to take good care of your hair too. Do deep conditioning treatments once a week, use a protectant when using hot tools, be kind to your hair, not rough. Damaged hair does not look good and there’s not much you can do when it’s severely damaged except grow it out. There’s also no way of hiding damaged hair so make sure to prevent it and take good care of it now. Also, only dye it a color that is compatible with your skin tone and that is only 3 shades lighter or darker than your natural hair color. That’ll help prevent extreme damage and will help your hair to look more natural. But of course, you don’t need to dye your hair at all. The key is healthy, smooth hair.
Next we’ll move on to our face. You’re gonna want to go to YouTube for this one and start watching some makeup tutorials. I only had to watch a few to get some game changing tips that have helped my makeup to look more professional. What I’ve learned too is that your products make a BIG difference when it comes to the way you’re makeup will turn out. I never thought so. I always thought that they were basically all the same. For example, you might think you have no eyelashes, but it may just be that you’re using the wrong mascara. At least that was the case for me. I always thought I had bad lashes but after switching my mascara, now my lashes are the main thing people always compliment me on. My favorite brand is NYX for makeup. They give you professional results at drugstore prices and I’ve recently learned that if you buy them on amazon, they’re always cheaper…like 50% so! So there’s a little tip for ya 😉 I’ll make a separate post where I get into all my staple products so you don’t have to waste time and money trying so many different ones and you can skip right to the good stuff. But trust me, upgrading your makeup routine is a game changer! It’ll make you look so much more put together and will make you feel so confident- it’s a must on my list!
Next we’ll talk about your ears or more specifically, earrings. You don’t have to wear earrings, but I always do. I never leave the house without them. I personally am a big hoops girl (it’s just the Latina in me lol) But I feel like even if you have small little studs in, they can help you look so much more fashionable. I’ve also been getting into hair accessories. I like cheetah print head scarves or scrunchies with bows on them. It’s so simple but those little touches really help level up your outfit and tie everything together. I think dainty necklaces are another really nice touch. They’re so feminine and delicate and really spice up any outfit. Don’t be afraid to experiment with scarves or different handbags too. You can find such a great variety and for really cheap too.
Since, we’re working our way down to the underarm area, let’s talk about b.o (other wise known as body odor). So it’s simple: take a shower everyday, wash your clothes weekly and don’t wear anything that has a foul smell. You’re clothes don’t have to be expensive to look good. What’s most important is that they’re clean, smell fresh, don’t have stains, and preferably wrinkle free. Please use deodorant and don’t forget it. Carry a travel one with you as a mid-day refresher. we all need it sometimes, it’s nothing to be embarrassed about. And as a bonus, a body spray or perfume helps for you to have a nice feminine scent that people will smell when you walk passed. It’s a nice touch. Also, please moisturize any dry, visible parts of your body (legs, knees, elbows) and please, oh please, if you’re feet are going to be exposed, moisturize those as well. I can’t stand dry, cracked heels. I’m sorry, it’s just a pet peeve of mine. It’s so easy to fix too and does not look good at all when you walk around like that. So please, for my sake, don’t do it. And I know all this sounds pretty simple, but you’d be surprised by how many adults have b.o. Oh and don’t forget to brush your teeth, carry mints or gum with you as a mid-day pick me up to freshen up. And if you always have bad breath, talk to your doctor. It may be something you’re eating or an underlying issue that your doctor may be able to help you with.
Next, we’ll move on to your bra. You’d be surprised at what a difference wearing the right bra can make. If you wear one that’s too small, you may have spillage in the cup area or back bulge squeezing out around the straps. If it’s too big, then it can cause a lot of weird gaping, especially around the cup area. So get sized. You can do it yourself at home. I finally, after about 10 years or so of wearing bras, have finally figured out my correct size! So now my bra outline can’t be seen through my shirt and it’s so much more comfortable to wear.
Now, we’ll talk about clothes. I always feel it’s best to have a certain color scheme with your wardrobe. I tend to have more of an autumn skin tone so in my closet you’ll see a lot of peach, burnt orange, burgundy, olive green, brown, ivory, mustard yellow, blush pink, tones. Having a color scheme with your wardrobe means that you’ll easily be able to mix and match certain pieces since they all work well together. So you’ll be able to have a few pieces but make many outfits from them. Try to find clothes that flatter your figure too. Of course you don’t have to, but there will be some pieces that will look better on you than others (just like with anyone else).
Next we’ll move onto your legs, or more specifically, body hair. So you’l want to make sure you’re shaving often. Everyone’s hair grows at different rates but for me, I pretty much start shaving whenever I see that stubble is starting to form. I want to be as smooth, feminine, and dainty as possible. That means no body hair (including facial, underarm, leg, thigh…you name it.)
Next, we’ll talk about our feet. I think it’s important to have your feet freshly pedicured year round. That doesn’t mean you have to get it done professionally or even that your nails have to always be painted (if that’s not you’re thing). But it does mean that your nails should always be cleaned, trimmed, dead skin and callouses removed, file down anything that needs it, and overall just have smooth, clean feet. I think uncared for feet are very unattractive to just about anyone. And it can be something fun to do. I like to do mine in the night when my daughter’s already asleep. I put my show on, relax, and paint my nails my favorite color of the moment.
Now we’ll touch on weight and fitness. I know that this can be a touchy subject. So this part will just be for those who already do want to lose weight. I personally have always been on the overweight side as I’ve mentioned. I’ve lost 40 pounds as a teenager. I always held on to 10-15 more even after that though. And after I had my daughter I had like 15 more that I had gained. So of the 25 that I’ve held onto after having giving birth, I’ve already lost 15 of it during these past few months and am working on losing the 10 that remains. I have simply been counting calories with the my fitness pal app and doing HIIT workouts 3x a week. But let me just tell you, losing weight is what really makes me feel the most confident of everything on this list. If you’re overweight, you can’t really hide it. No matter what you wear, people will be able to tell if you have a fit and trim body or if you don’t. You can’t hide it. So above all I think if you are overweight, then losing it will make you feel the best about yourself. And I’m not saying to do it in an unhealthy, obsessive way. There are healthy ways of doing it (in my opinion). I’ve been losing just one pound a week and although it’s painfully slow, I know that it’s working so I just need to be patient and stick with it. It’s when people start to become impatient and want to rush the process that they start going about it in an unhealthy way, with crash diets, laxative teas, and the like. And also I’ll just say, I’ve been working out for 10+ years doing everything from heavy weights, Pilates, cardio machines, etc…, and I just have to say that HIIT has been the best by far. You get quick results, you’re able to lose fat, keep your curves, and put on muscle, all while only working out 30 minutes max. So if you’re looking for a new workout routine, I would start off with trying that.
I hope that these tips were helpful for you guys and not at all offensive. I try to be honest while at the same time being sensitive to the feelings of others. This is the truth, this is how i got to be to where I am today. It’s not to hurt anyone’s feelings but to give you the answers that many have asked me. Which of these tips did you guys find the most useful? Which ones would you add? I’d love to hear from you.
*Disclaimer: I just want to start off by saying that I am not a doctor. This is just my personal experience and what has worked for me. The information I share with you is what I have learned through trial and error and my own research. But of course, if you have any questions about any of this, please make sure to discuss it with your doctor first.*
If you’ve been reading my blog for a while now, then you’ll know that in May of 2018 I decided to start my fitness journey. I wanted to update you guys because I know articles like this can help encourage and motivate others who are on a similar path.
Today is now July 1st of 2018 and I am happy to say that I am still on my fitness journey. This would be my 7th week of working out at the gym and eating portion controlled meals. I am so proud of myself though for really sticking with it this time. It’s funny how you can have so many times that you tell yourself, “This is it. I’m finally going to lose the weight!” But then you just end up quitting. Honestly you guys, I had been saying for about 6 years now that I was going to lose this weight. I would try so many different things that ended up just not working or I didn’t like it so I’d quit. So I find it so crazy that this time around I am sticking with it. I am serious about losing the weight this time and there is nothing that’s going to stop me. I am just that motivated and determined. But I feel like the reason why this way of losing weight is working is because it’s not hard to me or dreadful at all. I don’t feel starved or deprived or anything like that.
For the first month of my weight loss journey I just focused on portion control and it worked, but only during that time. After a while I noticed that my weight had plateaued. I tried to wait it out to see if it’d work itself out. But after 3 weeks of being the same weight, I decided I’d try calorie counting. I just didn’t want to be wasting my time doing something that was no longer working. And I felt like 3 weeks was long enough to wait. So I went online and tried a few different calorie calculators to see how much I should be eating for weight loss. I tried about 3 or 4 different ones. They all tend to give you a different number so I just took the average of all of them. I ended up with about 1600 calories. I think that is the perfect number for me. I still nurse my toddler 4 times a day, I tend to be moderately active, and I workout at the gym 3-4 times a week for an hour each session. I also have a good amount of muscle mass on my body. So all that needs to be taken into consideration when determining your calories. One calculator tried saying that I needed to eat just 1300 calories which I already felt was very low for me but I thought I’d give it a try. When I did, I was very hungry all day, felt light headed, exhausted, and irritable. So I knew that I needed to eat more. The crazy thing too is that before I thought all those symptoms were normal to feel when losing weight. But let me tell you, they’re not! That was a big reason why I never stuck to losing weight before: because I didn’t want to feel like that for months while trying to lose weight. So if you find yourself feeling miserable at all when trying to eat less for weight loss, try increasing your calories by a few hundred, Most likely you’re body just needs to eat a little more.
A really simple tool I’m using for calorie counting that I’m sure you heard of is the “My Fitness Pal” app. It’s free to download and so easy to use. I’m not getting paid or endorsed by them at all. This has just really helped me and I think it”ll help you as well. I have always hated counting calories. HATED! But this app is seriously so quick and easy to use. It even has a bar code scanner so if you have the package of the food you’re eating, you can just scan the bar code with your phone and it’ll upload all the nutrition information for you and then you’re done. If you tend to eat the same meals (like I do. I eat the same breakfast everyday.) you can log all the ingredients for it on your phone and then save it on the app. So next time when you’re eating that meal again, you don’t have to log each and every little thing again, you can just click on the saved “meals” button and it”ll have it all ready to go for you right there. If you’re going to a restaurant, it’ll already have the menu and calories on your phone so you can literally just click on what you ordered instead of having to log it all in yourself. I honestly love this app (especially the bar code feature 🙂 ). So even if you’re someone like me who has tried tracking your calories before but hated it, try giving this app a try. You might just like it 🙂
I also don’t restrict myself when it comes to cravings. If I really want to eat something, I’ll let myself have it. I just make sure to keep it within my calorie intake for the day. I feel it’s best to eat what you want in moderation now, than to restrict and deprive yourself for so long until you can’t take it anymore and you end up binge eating hard. Also, eating in a balanced way like this will help you in sticking to your weight loss plan long term since there are no rules as to what you can and cannot have.
And I just wanted to touch on something that was very hard for me losing weight this time around, since I know other people may be experiencing the same thing. I have lost 40 pounds in the past when I was at my heaviest but back then I was able to drop the weight so quickly. There were times where I’d lose 7 pounds in a week and it wasn’t even like I was trying to. But now I lose 1 pound a week. It was very frustrating at first to see how slow the weight was coming off. Especially since now is the time that I’m working my hardest at the gym and eating less, and yet I’m losing the weight much slower than when I was heavier and wasn’t trying nearly as hard. I had to remind myself though of how my body is going to try and hang onto these vanity pounds so it is going to take longer. I also reminded myself that progress is progress. That has basically been my motto throughout this fitness journey. Even if you are losing the weight so incredibly slow, just be happy that you’re going in the right direction. You’re still losing weight, even if it is slow, and that’s bringing you one step closer to your goal. It’s that mindset that has helped me to keep going even when I become impatient and wish that I could drop the weight faster. Before I would be so upset that my progress was so slow that I would just quit. But how is that helping the situation? At least before you were making progress. If you quit, then you’re not getting any closer to your goals.
To sum this all up for you: track your calories (but don’t go too low), eat what you’d like but just in moderation, and keep in mind that progress is progress. I hope this article has helped you guys. I just really don’t want you to waste your time like me doing all the wrong things when you can just get it right the first time and finally reach your goals. Please give this a “like” if you enjoyed it and comment down below a weight loss hack that has worked for you. We could all use each other’s help.
I’ve just started on a fitness journey of my own and I can say that one of the hardest things about it can be staying motivated. In the beginning it’s real easy because you know exactly why you’re doing this, you’ve got momentum, and you just go. But after a few weeks, that all starts to wear off especially if you’re not seeing results as quickly as you’re wanting to. So you have to keep yourself motivated if you’re going to stick to your fitness journey long enough to get the results you want. As someone who has been in need of motivation from time to time, I have some tips I’d like to share with you. They’ve helped me to keep going strong and I’m hoping they’ll do the same for you. So let’s get right into it:
Get yourself some cute fitness gear. This is probably my #1 tip. I don’t know about you but when I look good, I feel good. It gives me more confidence and makes me just want to kill it at the gym. It also motivates me to even want to go to the gym in the first place. I’ll just feel so cute that I just have to show myself off…lol. But you know what I mean, I’m not going to look this cute and have no one see me.
Reward yourself throughout your fitness journey. I think it’s nice to give yourself little gifts every couple of weeks or just once a month for reaching your fitness goals. It gives you some extra incentive to push through and continue working out even if you’re not yet seeing the results you were hoping for.
Buy some beauty products that you only allow yourself to use at the gym. I use some good smelling soaps and lotions for my post workout shower but again, I tell myself that I can only use those at the gym. So if I’d really like to use them, I have to go workout. Just keep in mind too that when I talk about buying all these things, it doesn’t have to be expensive. I am not rich by any means so all of these things (fitness gear/ clothes, soaps and lotions) are very affordable. There are many stores that can sell all these things at very affordable prices. I tend to just buy a few things at a time anyways.
Save your favorite songs for working out. I try not to listen to music during the day and save it for when I workout in the evening so that it gives me something to look forward to. So just like with the last point, if I want to listen to my music, I have to go workout in order to do so.
Look up some before and after transformations online. On days when I just don’t feel like going to the gym or am already feeling tired, I look up weight loss transformations. I love to see just what a huge difference people can make in their appearance in just 12 weeks or so and it reminds me that if I just stick with it, I will soon have my own transformation. 12 weeks is really not a long time either to see such a drastic change.
Remind yourself of why you’re doing this. This kind of goes along with the last point, but you need to remind yourself why you embarked on this weight loss or fitness journey in the first place. For me, I was tired of feeling so self conscious of the way I looked, not feeling good in the clothes I wanted to wear, and acting like everything was OK when it really was not. I’ll go more into my reasons in a later post. But sometimes when you’re just focused on the moment and thinking of how much you really don’t want to workout, you need to stop and think of what it’ll mean for you in the long term.
Keep in mind how great you’ll feel afterwards. I love the feeling you get after you’ve just kicked butt at the gym and gave it you’re all. You end up feeling so good and confident about yourself. I love knowing that I’m actually working towards my goals and not just sitting at home feeling sorry for myself. I know that with each day I go out there and give it my all, I’m making progress towards my goals and that is very empowering.
These are a few of the tips that I’ve been using to help me keep going on my fitness journey. I hope they’ll help you too. Please let me know in the comments below if you found any of these especially helpful and please let me know what things you do to stay motivated. We could all use each others help 😉