Even though we are in quarantine at the moment, there are still some goals I’d like to work on. I’d like to come out of this with a better and more improved version of myself. I want to be proud of the way I used my time at home. Every month I like to make goals for myself so I know what my focus should be for the upcoming weeks. So I wanted to share with you guys what I’ll be working on for this next month in hopes that it’ll maybe help give you all some ideas. These are all things that can be done at home too so we can be safe and still accomplish our goals.
One of my first goals I want to work on is learning how to style my hair in a way that I love. I’ve done straight hair, wavy, natural, but none of them are what I’m wanting. I’ve always used hot tools sparingly to avoid heat damage, but it’s to the point that I think it just may be necessary to start using them daily, at least for touch ups. I’m just tired of having frizzy or flat hair that I feel self conscious of.
I am also working on losing my next 20 pounds. For those who don’t know, I just recently lost 20 pounds this passed April and now I am working on losing some more. This time around I’m going about it by eating clean and of course with the right portions too. I just felt that with calorie counting (which is how I previously lost my weight) it wasn’t teaching me how to eat healthy. You could eat 1500 calories of just chocolate and still lose weight but that’s not setting you up with healthy habits. So I really wanted to take the time to learn how to eat in a healthy way that’ll help me to maintain my weight loss . It would be terrible if I were to gain it all back, especially considering how much time and effort I have to put in just to lose it so learning healthy habits is really important to me.
My next goal is daily walks in the morning. Last month I went back to doing my Pilates (which I absolutely love) but now I’m just in the mood for walking. It doesn’t really matter what I end up doing, my main goal is just to have daily movement. It feels so good and it’s good for you too.
I also want to try and make it a habit of doing an arts and crafts activity with my little toddler everyday. Since she’s not able to spend time with her friends right now, I’m trying to fill that void by spending even more time with her one on one. I’ve been enjoying trying different Pinterest projects with her. They help us spend time together and they help her to be creative as well. I like to use it as our little home school time. I often run out of ideas so if you’re like me and need some help in that department, Pinterest is where it’s at.
Next I want to get back into a regular cleaning routine so that our house is close to spotless a majority of the time. Once quarantine continued on past the one month mark, I started to get burnt out, sad, and tired so I didn’t have my normal motivation and energy that usually helps me to stay on top of things. Now that I’ve accepted our current situation and am working with it, I’m starting to get on top of cleaning once again. Clothes are being hung up soon after they are washed, dishes are getting done on the daily, I’m basically back baby. So for this next month, I just want to keep that momentum going and continue to tackle all of the daily chores. When the house is clean, then I am happy (and so is the hubby😄) so I want to maintain that in July.
I mentioned this one in a previous post, but I want to work on reading regularly. Ideally this would be something that I would do everyday. I struggle with this simply because there is so much I like to get done during my free time (and sometimes need to get done) that reading often gets put on last on the list. But I want to at least start with 10 or 15 minute sessions just to get me into the habit (and into the book) and then we can increase our time from there.
These are my goals for July. This month’s list is on the shorter side but I guess it’s because there is only so much I can do while in quarantine or I already accomplished my other goals. I hope this list was able to help you in someway and that you enjoyed getting some insight into what I’ll be doing during these next few weeks. Let me know what else you would like to see me write about. I want to tailor my site to what you all are interested in. Are there any goals you have for this coming month? I’d love to hear from you.
One of the hardest parts for me with staying home during quarantine is just finding enough things to do to keep me busy. With lock down now lasting 3 months, I’ve been rotating through a list of things that I can do during my time at home. I wanted to share them with you guys for those times when you’ve maybe run out of things to do and can’t think of anymore. Here are my go-to’s:
Adult coloring books– These are so entertaining for me that they’ll keep me busy for hours! It’s also a nice way to unwind and relax at the end of the day while also being creative. Amazon has a so many to choose from. I’ll try linking the one I got, along with the markers, down below.
Spa day– You can take a day or even just an evening to pamper yourself. You can take a bath, do a hair or face mask, do your nails, anything you’d like to give yourself a little extra love and feel better.
Bake new things/ try new recipes– This is one the whole family can take part of. Kids can help with measuring and mixing and everyone can help with eating it.😁 This activity can possibly keep you and the kids busy for a whole afternoon.
Arts and crafts with kids– I have a toddler girl so I’ve been trying to do one arts and crafts project with her everyday. Pinterest is full of amazing ideas and they often will include common household objects like paper plates, paint, and things like that; so no need to have to go out and buy new materials if you don’t want to. My daughter loves art so she’ll stay busy with these activities for at least 2 hours. It’s such a good way for kids to get creative and use their imaginations too.
Exercise or daily walk– I’ve been trying to make sure to do something active everyday. I’ll either go on a walk with the family or do some Pilates videos at home (they’re free on YouTube). It always makes me feel good, it’s healthy for us, and a lot of the time my daughter will want to join in so it’ll help encourage healthy habits for the kids too.
Weight loss goals– This is something I’ve been focusing on while in quarantine. It’s something that can be fun while you track your progress and find new ways of cooking food for low calorie options. And in the end you’ll most likely feel better about yourself and be more confident.
Journal– Quarantine has been hard for us all so I’ve been finding it especially helpful to journal my thoughts and feelings nearly every day. It helps me to focus on what I can fix and to put things in the right perspective. Journaling helps me to see things as they really are and to not blow them out of proportion.
Work on your makeup skills– Since we have more time on our hands, what better time to try and learn some new techniques from the makeup gurus? I’ve been taking more time when I put my makeup on in the mornings and just enjoying the process. I also try to play around with eye shadow and work with new colors. It can be fun and you can end up finding something that will become a new makeup staple for you.
Knitting or sewing– This is something I did a lot of at the start of quarantine (but now I blog) it can be so nice to make things with your hands and to maybe even gift them to friends.
Make care packages for those in need– It could be for friends or maybe for someone you don’t even know that well but think they would enjoy one. It could be a warm home cooked meal, toys for kids, essential supplies, pampering basket for new moms, anything really. There’s just so much we can do and in the end it’ll help us to feel better too when we give back to others.
Read!– So many of us have forgotten about the simple enjoyment of reading a book or we just put it aside in exchange for highly stimulating activities. I know I did. I’m trying to get back into reading. It’s something that can help expand our thinking and vocabulary, it can take us away on new adventures right from our own home, and if it’s a really good book, it can keep us entertained for hours.
Nap– With all that’s going on in the world, it can really be taxing on us emotionally and mentally. Taking a nap can help us to reset and take a break from it all. Often times we’ll wake up with a clearer mind and maybe have new solutions to problems we’ve been struggling with. We always say we’re tired but with quarantine, we don’t need to be.
Picnic– Making sure we get about an hour of outdoors time everyday has been life changing during this lock down and a picnic can help you do just that. It can help get you out from just being indoors all day and the sunlight can help brighten your mood and make you feel more energetic (at least it does for me🌞).
Pool time– If you guys happen to have a pool, you can take advantage of these hot summer days and turn it into a pool day. That can help take up a big portion of your day, and as a bonus, it also makes the kids super sleepy so they’re sure to be more calm afterwards and maybe even take a nap.
Organize– You can use this time to organize those areas in your home that you’ve been wanting to get to but just have never had time for previously. Pinterest has so much inspiration for organizing. I recently just gave my pantry a Pinterest-like makeover. Here’s the article if you need help getting started.
Clean/declutter– You can work on any areas that are starting to get hectic. Now is a good time to clean your home from head to toe as a fresh start. It may be easier to maintain after you’ve done so.
Try starting on those projects that you’ve been wanting to– Have you always wanted to write a book? Start a blog? Or an Etsy shop? Now would be a good time to get those dreams started.
Learn a new instrument– Is there one that you’ve always wanted to learn to play? For me, I’ve always favored the ukulele. It has such a sweet, whimsical sound. You can take the time now to try and learn your favorite instrument.
Soap making– This is a hobby that I still love but haven’t done in a long time. There are so many designs and ways you could make your soaps. There are some you can make to look like gem stones, you can hide a small toy in the center for kids, or you can go the crunchy route and make all natural/organic soaps. The possibilities are endless.
I know quarantine can be challenging (I definitely have those days). What helps me is to try and keep a positive mindset and to keep myself busy throughout the day. It’s OK if you need some days to just reset and not really do much, I need those days too. But overall, I hope this article is able to help you stay busy and maybe even give you a few fun distractions as well.
I have always been on the thicker side. When I was younger, I would’ve been considered chubby. But since then, I’ve lost a good amount of weight and would now be considered thick; I’ve got some extra meat on me but I’m not necessarily chunky. But I don’t want to be. I feel so uncomfortable with with carrying around my extra weight. So after taking a few months off from weight loss, I’ve decided to start it back up again. My goal is to lose at least 20 pounds and maybe even more. It all depends on how I feel at that point. I know it’ll be a process and probably something that I’ll have to stick with even into the winter months. But either way, it’s something that I want to get done. It’s been a month of me eating at a calorie deficit so I just wanted to share with you guys what I’ve been eating. Maybe it’ll help to give you some inspiration if you’re getting bored with the foods you’re eating. I’ve been switching it up all the time though (just because there’s such a wide variety of foods I want to eat) so I think I may include one of these “What I Eat In A Day” posts at least once a month. So without further ado, let’s get right into it.
For this day, I decided to have one of my favorite meals. This is my own version of a breakfast burrito (I know it’s not rolled up like one, but you get the point). You may not like the way I do it so feel free to make any changes to yours that you wish. This is how I made mine:
Next, I was feeling the need for something sweet. I wasn’t necessarily hungry but I just wanted something to satisfy my sweet tooth. For me, one of the best things for that is hot chocolate😋 I made mine all fancy just for you guys so it could be more aesthetically pleasing, so enjoy😄 For this fancy hot chocolate of mine you’ll need:
Hot Cocoa Packet (I used a Target brand) (110 cals.)
6 oz. Almond milk (30 cals.)
Whipped Cream (45 cals)
Total: 185 calories
While I was drinking my hot chocolate, I felt like it needed something more. It felt empty and incomplete. So I decided to pair it with a chocolate chip cookie and that hit the spot😋
1 Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie (170 cals.)
Total: 170 calories
I know what you’re thinking “wait, no lunch?” and the answer is no. I just wasn’t hungry on this day come lunch time. Normally I eat my breakfast at around 8am and that keeps me full till 2pm on average. So come dinner time, I may just eat something light or I’ll wait till it’s 7pm or 8pm to eat again. I’m not restricting myself by any means. I still get the same amount of calories in. But just some days I’m not as hungry. So for this dinner I decided to have:
1 cup Kale Salad Mix (140 cals.)
1 Italian Sausage link (180 cals.)
1 up Sweet Potatoes (114 cals.)
1/4 Avocado (50 cals.)
Total: 484 Calories
That completes my full day of eating. Like I said, everyday is a bit different with what I eat but at the end of the day I make sure I’m still at the same calorie deficit. I’m looking forward to when I can start sharing with you guys my results. Let me know what you guys thought of this article. Is it one that you would want me to recreate in the future (with different meals of course)? And please keep in mind that our calorie needs are all different depending on our lifestyle and our goals. So please make sure you eat the right amount for yourself. I hope you guys have a good day and that you enjoyed today’s read.
Jealousy is an ugly quality that I’m sure we all want to avoid. It can kill a moment and just create the worst tension in a room if you or someone else there is the one exhibiting this negative trait. It’s not a word that you necessarily want someone to describe you as either. So how can we avoid? How can we keep this less than attractive quality from wrecking havoc on what could potentially be a good day? Today I want to share with you how I’ve personally been able to distance myself more and more from this trait.
Let’s be honest. When we’re feeling jealous, it’s most likely because we’re actually feeling a bit insecure at the moment. For me personally, if I’m feeling confident, it doesn’t matter to me what anyone else around me is doing or how they look because I feel good about myself and my worth. I don’t need to compare or compete with anyone because I know I’m good as I am. It’s on the days where I’m not feeling so great about myself and feeling insecure that I will start to compare myself and then feel even worse because I’ll feel like I’m lacking in some area. So my answer to jealousy is to do what you can to better yourself and get to where you want to be.
Are you feeling insecure because of your acne which then makes you jealous of others with clear skin? Or are you insecure about your weight so that you then feel jealous of others who are at a healthier weight? Do what you can to fix those issues so that you have nothing to feel bad about. Don’t be mad at someone just because they have something that you want. Instead use those people as motivation and inspiration to work on yourself and then achieve those things that you are longing for and were once jealous of.
I know it’s not easy to just flip the switch and to start using any negative feelings you may have and turn them into positive actions, but it is well worth it. In the end, you will be someone that people want to spend time with because you don’t carry the negative traits that come along with being jealous. You will be someone who is more bright and positive because you will have used your energy towards bettering yourself instead of hating others and being bitter.
I’m telling you, a majority of the things your self conscious of can be worked on. I used to be heavily over weight, have a deeper voice, a negative attitude and mindset about everything, brittle frizzy hair, cystic acne filled face, and so many more negative attributes. I didn’t like the overall person I was because not only did I not look the way I wanted but I also had a horrible attitude to couple that. So I literally sat down and thought of who I want to be as a person. (I did this a lot when I was 12 and 13). I like to draw so I would draw out the person I want to be. I wanted to be sweet and gentle and kind. I wanted to be loving and affectionate. I wanted to be someone who walked with grace and was well poised. A lot of these things didn’t come naturally to me so I really had to work on them, and so I did.
It took some time but I slowly started to become the person I always wanted to be. All that is to say that the very person you’re jealous of, you can be. Whatever it is they have, you can attain. I would say at least 90% of the change you want is within your control. That’s a lot that you have power over. You can be the exact person you want to be and that is so liberating to hear! You don’t have to be bitter that you’re not like so and so or don’t have a certain thing that they do. You can work on bettering yourself to the point that your days of being jealous will be far and few between; to the point that it’s rare for you to have one of those days. You have the power to be who you want to be. It’s all up to you.
Tell me, what did you guys think of this article? Was it informative or helpful? I sure hope it was. Being jealous is no fun for anyone sitting in that room. I want you to have as many good days as possible and to be so confident about yourself that you don’t really long to be like anyone else because you are content and happy with the person you’ve worked hard to become. Please let me know what you guys thought of this article because I just love to hear from you. I hope you guys have a good rest of your day (or for those like me, a good night). I’ll see you in my next one.
When it comes to working out, music is everything! It can get you pumped up and in the mood to give your workout all you’ve got. It can get you excited and full of energy. Music can even make you look forward to your sweat session. It really is key to enjoying your fitness regime. With many of us having the goal of weight loss for this new year, I thought I’d share with you all my favorite workout songs of the moment. I tend to listen more to pop, soft rock, and R&B so if those are your favorite genres, then you might just find some in this list that will become your new favorites. They also range from 90s hits to today’s pop favorites. I hope you enjoy 😊🎶
“Why Can’t I?”, Liz Phair
“She’s So High”, Tal Bachman
“There She Goes”, Sixpence None The Richer
“White Flag”, Dido
“Someday”, Sugar Ray
“Only Human”, Jonas Brothers
“Turn Off The Lights”, Nelly Furtado
“Pieces Of Me”, Ashlee Simpson
“Invisible”, Ashlee Simpson
“Sparks”, Hilary Duff
“Island In The Sun”, Weezer
“Sue Me”, Sabrina Carpenter
“Dance Monkey”, Tones and I
“Circles”, Post Malone (clean)
“Take Off All Your Cool”, Sabrina Carpenter
“In My Bed”, Sabrina Carpenter
“Bad Time”, Sabrina Carpenter
“R.E.M”, Ariana Grande
“Rock Bottom”, Hailee Steinfeld
“Look At Her Now”, Selena Gomez
“Sign Of The Times”, Harry Styles
“Easier”, 5 Seconds of Summer
“thank u, next”, Ariana Grande (clean)
“Electric Lady”, Janelle Monae
“Boots”, Grayson Chance
“Gonna Get Over You”, Sara Bareilles
“Workin’ On It”, Meghan Trainor
“Sparks”, Hilary Duff
“How Do You Sleep”, Sam Smith
“I’m Like A Bird”, Nelly Furtado
“Youngblood”, 5 Seconds Of Summer
“Goodbye” (clean), Post Malone
“That Girl”, Lindsay Lohan
“Play That Song”, Train
“Needy” (clean), Ariana Grande
“N.A.S.A”, Ariana Grande
“Boyfriend” (clean), Ariana Grande
“Beat Of My Heart”, Hilary Duff
“We Are Young” (clean), FUN
“Stranger”, Hilary Duff
“Lush Life”, Zara Larson
“Me Too”, Meghan Trainor
Did you find any songs here that you already like or are excited to give a try? Please let me know in the comments below and let me know some of your favorites too. I’m always looking for new music to listen to.
Every year, as some of you may know, I love to set goals for myself. I’m a very goal oriented person. I write down what I want to do and I then I just do it (as Nike would say 😂) So I thought I’d share with you guys my plans for this new year. Maybe it’ll help to inspire some out there and in the end, I’d love to hear your goals too. I’d love to get some new ideas. So without further ado, let’s get right into it.
First, I’d like to continue to grow my blog. I’ve been posting regularly now for a few months and taking it really seriously. I’ve seen growth even in that short amount of time so I know that if I keep at it, then I’ll soon reap the benefits. So I just want to continue posting every week, at least once, but two times would be a dream. This is my job now so I want to treat it as one.
My second goal would be to lose at least 10 more pounds. I’m guessing I have about 15 left to lose but I really can’t tell. I know though, that losing 10 would make a huge difference and would leave me with not much extra weight. So I feel that if I can knock out those 10 pounds, it will cause a huge change in the way my body looks and from there I shouldn’t have much more to lose. For those who don’t know, I’ve been losing weight for 4 months now and in that time I’ve lost 22 pounds. It’s really transformed the way I look. I’m so proud of my hard work. But there’s still a bit more I’d like to lose so I can feel my very best and be my most confident self.
Next, I would like to develop a hair care routine and at the same time, grow my hair a few inches more too. I have never had the best hair. And it’s not because I have difficult hair or anything, I’ve just never really known how to care for it. I’ve always had a frizzy head of hair and it was pretty much always a hot mess. It wasn’t until this past year or so where I’ve been using hot tools on my hair and actually getting more of a smoother, shinier look. But now I see the heat damage starting to creep up on me. It’s nothing serious, just a bit on the ends. But I know that If I don’t take care of it now, it’s just going to get worse. So it’s time to finally implement a hair care routine. I’m talking hair serums, deep conditioning, learning to style without heat, the works. I want silky, gorgeous, shiny, long hair, but I know it’s going to take work to get it there. That starts this year!
I also want to start reading books again regularly. I’ve always loved reading ever since I was a kid. But with all the many books we had to read in High school, reading during my leisure time was the last thing I wanted to do. Then after school ended, I got married and soon after got pregnant so all my time and energy went towards my baby. But now that the baby stage is over, I’m finding I finally have that vigor back and with it, a desire to read and to consume knowledge. I want to better myself, I want to get to the root of personal issues I have, I want to learn new things. I can do all of that with reading. I’m starting to get that hunger for devouring books back so I want to feed it before it goes away.
I’m really looking forward to going on daily walks once the weather warms up. We just moved into our new home a few weeks ago so right now we live by a canal. There’s a beautiful path that goes all along it with flowers and greenery that I just can’t wait to walk. It’s still pretty cold here in California, but as soon as the weather warms up, even just a little bit, I plan on walking out there. Ever since losing my weight, I’ve been keeping active everyday. I want to keep that up though even when all my weight is gone and I think walking outdoors is a fun, relaxing way to do so. So as soon as I’m able to, I’ll be out there.
Another thing I’m really looking forward to is upgrading my closet. Now that I’ve lost a good amount of weight, everything is pretty loose and baggy on me. For some clothes that’s perfectly alright, like a sweatshirt for example. But for a fitted dress, it just doesn’t look right when you’re swimming in it. I’ve been buying myself a few items here and there but only if they’re on clearance. That’s simply because I’m still in the process of losing weight. So although I do want some clothes that fit me now, I also don’t want to invest too much into them since I know they won’t be fitting me for long. With the clothes I’ve been buying, I’m starting to get a bit more adventurous with them. I’m not buying just regular old skinny jeans. Instead I’m opting for a fit and flare sort of pant that cinches at the waist and opens wide toward the ankles. I don’t want to just wear casual clothes anymore. I want them to be fashionable and just my style. I don’t want to play it safe. I’ve also been wearing heels more which is something I’ve never done before. It’s just part of my everyday look now. So I’m excited to add to my heel collection (right now I just have 2 😂)
Another goal I have is to have friends and family over a couple of times every month. Since moving into our new home, we’ve had people come over pretty much twice a week, every week. I want to make sure we keep to that pattern and throw fun parties for our friends too. I have a lot of kid themed parties that I can’t wait to have. Not many people throw those parties where we live but I think it’d be so fun for Lulu and her friends. I’ve always been so shy when it comes to having people over. I just always over think it and worry if people are having a good time. But my husband has helped me a lot with not over thinking and as I get older too, I’m less self conscious and shy. I love being hospitable now and I just can’t wait for all the parties we’ll throw and all the memories we’ll make too.
I also want to continue homeschooling my daughter. She’s only a toddler so she’s not technically enrolled in home-school; we’re just practicing. But I want to make sure that I keep up with it, work on it daily, and am seeing progress in what my daughter is learning. Right now she knows her shapes, colors, ABC’s, she can match, and draw really good. I think that’s all so good especially since she’s not even 3 yet. I’d like to teach her phonics next (the sounds each letter makes) and then from there we’ll work on forming words and eventually reading. I think we’re making really good progress. But like I said, I want to work hard to stick with it. If I’m going to be homeschooling her, then her education is in my hands and that’s something I take really seriously. So I just want to make sure that it’s something I can honestly do.
This last one is actually something I’ve been wanting to do ever since I was a kid. I want to maybe write a book this year. Crazy, right! I’m not talking about just an e-book. I want it to actually be a physical book that you can touch and feel. I’d like to write and illustrate it myself to. I would probably start off with a children’s book since it’s a genre I love, I have a daughter of my own who I could read it to, and I love to draw cartoons which would be perfect for a book of that category. It might be a bit of a stretch since I’m still trying to get my blog off the ground; I may have to focus on that first. But I’ve found websites that you can use to help you write and publish your own book. I think it’d be amazing if I could make that a reality this year.
Those are my goals for this coming new year. They’re definitely different from the ones I’ve had in previous years; they’re new and exciting. I’m looking forward to it all. Please do let me know any goals you have for this new year. I’d love to get even more ideas. I just wanted to mention too, if you guys are enjoying my blog and would like to help it grow, please subscribe down below to my weekly newsletter. You’ll basically be emailed a notice only once a week letting you know that I’ve posted something new on my blog. Don’t feel obliged to do it but if you like the things I write and would like to see more, I would deeply appreciate you taking the time to subscribe. Thank you so much 😊🌻
Last week was part 1 of this series where I shared 12 things I’ve learned in my life. Since the list was so long, I decided to break it up into two posts. This is part 2. It’s heavy and it’s deep…so get ready. 🌻
13. Let God guide you in life. Sorry to include religion if that’s not your thing, but I just need to briefly say that God is the reason why I am so happy today and why my life is where it is. I’ve been in the trenches and in the lowest of lows and God helped me to get out of that. He helped guide me to true happiness in life and avoid paths in life that I almost went down but just would’ve given me misery. So I just have to quickly give thanks and credit to God himself. I wouldn’t be where I am now without him.
14. Figure our what it is you want to do in life so that all your decisions can help lead you there. I know it’s easier said than done but maybe write down a list of things that interest you and perhaps actual jobs you can do surrounding those things. Or if marriage is a major goal for you, think of the qualities you want in a life long mate. That way you can be sure to search that out in the men you talk to and if they aren’t what you’re looking for, you can end it with them and move on. At least then you won’t be wasting your time. Try and think of where you want to be in 5 or 10 years from now so you can set goals that will bring you there.
15 You need to take care of yourself if you want to help care for others. This is a lesson that was especially engraved in me once I had my daughter. You can not serve from an empty cup. You will just find yourself burnt out, exhausted, and constantly irritated. It doesn’t take too much to care for yourself either; eat healthy meals, do your hair, take a hot shower, do a little makeup (if that’s your thing), and most importantly get your rest. You can’t expect a car on empty to go very far so prioritize your sleep if you want to get anything done.
16. Focus on strength training, not cardio. I see so many people, young and old, who workout so much or eat very little but still have a flat butt, lanky arms, and just overall not the shape they want. I wish I could just tell them that all they need is some strength training. And I’m not talking about 2 pound dumbbells; I’m talking about 20 pounds. Strength training has helped give me the curves I have, its given my arms shape, it’s given me structure and definition in my face and body, a sculpted back, abs, and so much more. You can see all my muscle definition even though I still have some weight to lose and that’s because of strength training. Some people believe that once they lose the fat everything will be toned, but the truth is that you need strength training to give you that definition. If you have to choose one over the other, I’d say skip out on the cardio and focus on the weights. And I know a lot of people fear getting bulky, having a thick neck, and large shoulders. Trust me, I get it. I don’t like that look either. The thing is though, it takes a lot of focused effort, a specific kind of diet, and really heavy lifting to attain that bulky look. So it’s not just going to happen on it’s own overnight.
17. You don’t need to keep anyone toxic in your life. Whether that be family or a friend that you’ve known for a really long time. Don’t feel obliged to keep anyone in your life who’s constantly bringing you down, causing problems in your life, and who is overall a negative influence in your life. That’s draining and exhausting. You don’t need that.
18. Never look to a guy to make you feel whole. If you do, you’re heart will always be in their hands. If they cheated on you or hurt you, you may believe that’s what you deserved. Don’t let any other person define you. Be whole enough on your own. Be complete on your own. That way if a guy comes into the picture, he will just add to your happiness. If he is the only reason for you to be happy, then you will constantly be unsteady because any little thing he does could make your whole earth shatter. I know it’s easier said than done. This is something I had to learn too but it’s necessary and vital. We can’t rely on someone else for our happiness because what would we do if one day they’re gone? You can’t spend your days with that anxious thought always in the back of your head. Look within yourself to see why you don’t feel whole on your own. Why do you feel the need to be validated by someone else? Once you answer those questions, you can start on the road to inner happiness and satisfaction. People are unpredictable so you wouldn’t want your whole life to lie in the hands of someone else.
19. Love is far superior to romance. I know that may be hard to believe, especially with the way movies make it out to be. But trust me, love is so much better and is long lasting. Romance is so quick lived and often dies out. You can certainly have romance and be deeply in love with your spouse, but often that takes more effort since you’ve guys have been together so long and its not the beginning stage of your relationship. Often times, as ladies, we can be suckers for romance (I know I am). It can sweep us off our feet and blind us to any red flags or toxic behavior that the guy may be exhibiting. But as someone who has experienced both, I have to tell you that the truth is love is the better option. It’s everlasting. Love is there for you when you’re at your worst moments in life. Love is there to support you and help you through life. That’s what a guy does when he loves you. The romantic guy often just wants to be there for the good parts and as soon as you’re having a hard time, they’re gone. And of course I’m not saying this is true of all romantic guys. It’s possible for a guy to be both in love with you and also romantic. But I’m talking more about those guys where that’s all they really offer. They’re a smooth talker, know just what to say, and are very romantic, but it doesn’t go any further than that. But sometimes because we love the romance so much, we’ll ignore the fact that he’s not so great as an actual boyfriend. And that leads me to my next point.
20. Don’t ignore the warning signs and the red flags! Often times we may be so head over heels for a guy and love the way they make us feel that we ignore all the ways they’re bad for us. We live for those high points in the relationship because it makes us feel like we’re walking on air. But be wary. Keep your eyes open. From my own experience, the most romantic, smooth talking guys were actually really terrible people and I realized that with the deeper I dug. I found out that they were going around talking to so many other girls in just the same way; they didn’t really care about me personally. That is a terrible person who is not going to change just for you. He just doesn’t respect women as a whole and he shows that in the way he acts. Love is just a game for people like that. It builds their ego knowing they can get so many girls and they usually don’t care if you get hurt in the process. It makes him feel good having the reputation of a “heart-breaker”. But often times we may still stick around though because he says the most perfect things and makes you feel incredible. But look beneath the surface. Those are just words; anyone can talk but it’s a whole other thing to walk. The fact that he’s not giving you his full attention and toys around with other girls hearts says a lot about what he thinks of you. He doesn’t think you’re worth it. He feels that you’re just worth part of his time. Don’t try and stick around and hope that he’ll change because more than likely that’s just the way he’s gonna stay. If he’ll disrespect you now, he’ll continue to do it. The honeymoon stage of when you first meet a person is supposed to be a time where you’re really trying to impress the other person and put your best foot forward. But if he’s treating you so negatively now, I’d be scared to see just how ugly it’ll get as years pass and he get’s even more comfortable with you. I want you to see that and not go any further with him. See the warning signs and run for the hills. (I’m sorry if this came off as harsh but when you’re in this situation, sometimes you just need someone to be blunt and give it to you straight. It can be so easy to overlook those things but if 5 years down the road you’re married to this guy and have children with him, it won’t be so cute having him still act like this. You’ll be kicking yourself wondering why you ever stayed with him. I just want you to avoid all that pain and regret.)
21. Don’t allow social media to break up your relationship. I’ve heard that many couples have actually divorced over it too. That’s so sad to me. Understand that social media is not real life. You’re relationship with your partner is far more important (and real) than anything on your phone. If it bothers them that you follow a certain person or like certain posts, just stop doing it. I’ve heard of couples who will fight that to the core. They’ll say “well it’s my right to do it. You can’t tell me what I can and cannot do.” and the list goes on. Why be so adamant about following certain people like that? Why is that so much more important to you than how you’re mate is feeling? Social media is whatever to me. I use it mainly as a business tool and to share photos with family. Any accounts I follow are just for fun. I really don’t care if my husband wanted me to delete all my accounts today, I would just do it. Social media is just not important to me. And the fact that people would have actual arguments with their loved one because they don’t want to unfollow a certain person? That’s unbelievable. Just remember that at the end of the day social media is not a person. So if your mate were to leave you over it, you would be all alone. And for what? It’s just not worth it. Let your pride go, let your ego down, and just listen to your mate’s feelings. Make their happiness a priority far before social media.
22. You can be body positive and still want to lose weight. I know this is a big debate, it often times causes arguments, and everyone has their own opinion on it. Here’s mine: yes, I believe you can still lose weight while also loving yourself and your body. You don’t have to hate your body in order to lose weight. Just recently I’ve lost 22 pounds and am still trying to lose about 10 pounds more. Even at the beginning of my weight loss journey, I still thought I was cute. I was never repulsed or disgusted with myself. And when it came to losing weight, I never resorted to starving myself or putting myself on a super restrictive diet that made me want to gag. I think often times, that may have been the experience of others when they first tried losing weight (I know I did the same thing when I was 12) so I think that’s what they relate to when it comes to losing weight, as if that’s the only way that it can be done. I would actually argue that I’m showing my body more love by trying to get rid of extra weight that is only causing health problems. I’m eating healthier and making sure I’m more active throughout the day. I think caring for my body in that way is much more loving.
23. And finally number 23! I should make this one good since it’s the last one, right? Ok here it goes: always do what’s right. I know that sounds so cheesy, so dull, and boring. But hear me out. Often times when you’re trying to be morally and ethically good as a person, it can be hard. It can be especially hard when we see people who are doing things so wrong and bad in life and yet seem to get away with it and even prosper. But the truth is, we will always pay for our actions in the end. Sooner or later those consequences will be knocking on our door. For example, if you did bad, cheated on your mate, and thought that they would never find out if you never told, guess what. Those things will always, always come out. You will face those consequences sooner or later. You can’t avoid them. Or if you did right in life, you will see good things come your way. You will avoid drama, arguments, and a lifetime of chaos by doing things right. In my life, I have always made the right decisions, I was always the good girl. At times it felt like why, why do I have to work so hard at doing good when this person is doing so many terrible things and yet seems to be prospering. Again, the truth will always come out. Years later I now see it. I see the misery that is their life, how they are struggling, and are alone due to their wrong behavior, and I see how everything in my life is seeming to align all at the same time. Everything is just right and just as I want it to be in life. I’m not trying to brag, that’s why I’m keeping it real vague and brief. But just know that those people who are doing wrong, even if you can’t see it now, they are (or will soon be) paying for their course in life. It may be something that takes years and years for them to fix (and sometimes it may be something that they’ll just have to struggle with for the rest of their lives). So don’t feel that it is in vain that you do things right. Know that soon you will see the reward for all your hard work and then you’ll be so grateful that you made the decisions you did and avoided so many problems in life.
So guys, there you have it: 23 things I’ve learned in my life. I hope you can take away at least one tip from this that you found helpful. In my life I’ve learned so many things, even as a young person. A big part of that is listening to the experiences of others. So please be open to hearing what older and wiser ones have to say. They’re just trying to help you avoid mistakes that they possibly have made in life or have seen others make. Then that way you can avoid so much hurt in your life. Weigh each decision out carefully. It can be so quick to make a decision that may impact you for the rest of your life so think things through. I’d love to hear from you guys and hear any bits of wisdom that you have. Please share! 🙂
This past Friday I turned 23. I’ve honestly have always felt older than what I actually am so even though I’m 23 now, I feel like I’m actually 27. How exactly would a 27 year old even feel? I do not know😂 It’s just always been that way with me. People tend to think I’m older than I am too. They’re genuinely surprised when I tell them my real age. They say I’m just so mature for my age and seem so wise. So I thought I’d to share with you some of the “wisdom” I’ve acquired after being on this earth for 23 years. It’ll be fun so let’s dive right into it!
The people you went to school with will not be in your life as an adult. You may never even seen them again (unless of course you want to) so don’t worry about the high school drama or cliques, who’s popular or anything else like that. It all means nothing in the real world.
If a guy really likes you and wants to be with you, he’ll show it. You shouldn’t have to try and decode his en-cryptic messages of emojis. I hate all those games honestly. I don’t have time for that. That’s why I’m so glad I married an older, mature man too because he didn’t play those games. He shouldn’t ignore your texts for days. You shouldn’t have to read between the lines to see how he’s really feeling. He should make it clear and if you’re confused, ask him. If that scares him off, then good. He wasn’t ready for a real relationship anyways.
Do your own thing in life. Many times what others want you to do may be the exact opposite of what feels right to you. At the end of the day though, you’re the one who will have to deal with the consequences of your decisions. You’re the one who will be left to live your life and those other people won’t have to. So try and do what makes the most sense to you. I mean just look at my life for example, I left High school at 16, got married at 18, and had a baby at 20. But I had a certain vision for my life so I made the decisions that I felt would help me to get there, and it did. So although I did not do things the way people normally would have liked me to, that doesn’t matter. I got to where I wanted to be and I didn’t have to waste time doing things the conventional way.
Not everyone is sincere. It may be hard to believe if you yourself are a sincere, honest hearted person yourself, but not everyone has good intentions. Not every “friend” wants the best for you. It’s something you learn in life. And it may be hard to believe because you may think, why would a person fake a friendship just to then gossip about you and stab you in the back? It’s sad but unfortunately it happens. There are some people out there who are like that. You don’t have to be paranoid and not trust anyone. Just be cautious and try to get to know your friends before you tell them your personal issues. It may happen to you, where you find out that a “friend” was acting more like an enemy behind your back. In that case, just drop them. You don’t need that in your life and there are so many other people who are looking for real friends like you.
You have the power to become the person you want to be in life, to better yourself in anyway you’d like. Whether that be financially, physically, or even just personality-wise, you can do it. If you’d like to be kinder and not as bitter and cynical, then you can work on improving your personality. You do not have to be defined by your childhood, by the way your family acted, nothing. Oftentimes, if someone has a temper then they might say something like, ‘well my father always had a temper too so I can’t help it’. But the truth is, you can help it and that’s good news! You don’t have to stay stuck with traits that you don’t really like. It may be hard to reprogram your brain with the way you think and how you react to things, but it can most definitely be done. I was able to do it, so I know you can too.
Some people will hate you just because. Again, this may be something that’s hard to grasp, but some people just won’t like you and they may not have any real reason why they even feel that way. You may treat them so nice. You might be so friendly and helpful to them and still they just won’t like you. Don’t sweat it. Some people you just can’t win over. But that’s OK because there will be so many other people who do like you, so focus on them.
We all have those people in our lives who we haven’t talked to in years and we think to ourselves, why did I ever lose touch with them? Then you get to talking with them and end up seeing just how negative and toxic they are to your lives. Then you realize that that’s why you broke off contact with them. So my advice to you, leave people from the past, in the past. I wouldn’t say that applies to each and every person but as a general rule of thumb, it’s usually what’s best. There’s always a reason why you stopped talking to certain people or why a certain friendship didn’t work out. Just trust that if you’ve stopped talking with certain people, it’s probably for a really good reason so be wary about allowing them back into your life.
There will be ebbs and flows to your relationship. That’s OK and perfectly normal. So don’t think that there’s anything wrong with you or your partner or that maybe you guys just weren’t meant to be together. That’s something that would happen in any relationship so don’t worry.
Be humble. There is so much in life that we don’t know about so try not to speak on things that you don’t know the facts on. I’ve done it too. I can almost guarantee that we’ve all done it. Be open to learning more and realize that you don’t know it all, not at 23, 43, or even at 63. Try not to comment on the lives of others because more than likely, you don’t know the full story.
It’s easy to find people who will want to sleep with you but its hard to find someone who will love you unconditionally. So when you find someone like that, who really loves you, hang on to them and don’t let them go. It may be true that people will want to be with you physically but that’s so different from someone who will actually commit to you for your whole life. I’ve seen the sad outcome of women who have taken their significant others for granted. They’re still alone at 40 years old and have spent years trying to find true love again. It’s not easy to find so hold onto your love and appreciate them.
Take care of your skin now! I’ve been lathering my face with oil every night since I was 12 years old and recently have been wearing SPF daily. It may seem really premature for me to be doing these things but I rather prevent wrinkles and fine lines. Why take a chance? Just start taking care of your skin now and you’ll thank yourself in the years to come (especially as you get older).
The same goes for your health. You may feel that you’re young and can eat anything you want and don’t have to worry about your health but the truth is that you’ll pay for the way you treat your body sooner or later. In the short term, eating junk food and being inactive will cause you to have low energy, bloat, indigestion, bad skin, body aches, and a whole plethora of problems. In the long term, you can develop diseases that really inhibit your life, you may lose organs or limbs because they’ve shut down due to years of abuse, you may lose your hair, become obese, and the list goes on. So, take care of your health now and you can live a rich, exciting, and fulfilling life. You can do all the things you want to do and your body won’t be able to hold you back.
This is just part 1 of this series since it’s such a long list. Part 2 is already typed up and ready for you guys to see and I gotta say, it’s probably the best piece I’ve ever written. I’m really excited to share it with you guys! But in the meantime, I hope you enjoyed this post. As we go through life, we gain experience and wisdom. The hope is that we’ll learn from it and share what we learn with others too so they can avoid problems. Please let me know any of your pieces of advice for life. I’d really love to hear it and I’d love to know what you thought of this article too.
Buying a house may be closer to your reach than you think. It’s all just a matter of controlling your money and making it work for you. In today’s article, I want to share with you the top 5 tips that have helped us save. I hope these will help you guys too so you can start this new, exciting chapter in your life.
1. My first tip would be to find the cheapest grocery store to buy your food. We previously did our grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s (a health food store) but that would easily bring our total price to $200 and sometimes more per week. And we’re just a family of two adults and a toddler! I searched around to see what stores had the best prices for food. It turns out that Walmart has some of the best prices. So I now do the majority of my grocery shopping there. But…surprise, surprise…the 99 cent store actually has a whole lot of produce all for $1! When I shop there, we save $70 a week which adds up to $280 a month! That’s a whole lot of money to save on just one bill! And trust me, I was skeptical about dollar store food too. But we have already tried it for 2 weeks and everything tastes just fine. Nothing spoiled right away or anything. So just give it a try. Maybe you’ll like it too.
2. Another area where we’re saving money is on our electric bill. Im so sorry to say but we used to live with our AC going non-stop! Its so embarrassing to admit. But now, we’re rarely using it and only put it on when the heat is getting to be just too much to handle. Turning on the AC is now a last resort for us. We’ll open the windows, turn off the lights, close the blinds, take a cool shower, turn the fans on, we’ll do all that before we finally decided to turn on the AC. We haven’t gotten the bill back yet but i imagine that we’ll be saving anywhere from $100 – $150 a month minimum. I’ll try to update you guys once we get the actual numbers back.
3. We also limit eating out now to only once a week. That’s something I had already been doing for a while now just for weight loss reasons but now my husband is jumping on board too. So he no longer will order out for lunch while he’s at work. But I take responsibility for making sure he has meals so he won’t have to eat out. If I miss a day for packing his lunch, I wont blame him if he does have to eat out. But its rare that that’ll happen. Lately I’ve been making a lot of crockpot meals so we’ll have leftovers for lunch the next day. I’ve also been focusing on making delicious recipes so he wont miss eating out over the weekends. Often times before, we would go to Jamba Juice and buy a smoothie but now if we’re craving a smoothie, we’ll just make one at home. Its a whole lot cheaper that way. And you’d be surprised how much it adds up when you’re eating out.
4. My next tip is to look through the coupons you get sent to your door. Before we wouldn’t even bother and would just throw them out right away. ( I know, we were super wasteful ) but now I take the time to look through them. I’m not a super couponer or anything so you won’t see me at the store taking out a binder of coupons (not that that’s a bad thing, I’m just not at that level). But if I do see a coupon for something that we use on a regular basis or for eating out, I’ll make sure to save it. For example, just last week I found a coupon for a free pizza. There were no strings attached either, we didn’t have to buy anything else. So last Friday for our day of eating out, we literally spent $0 on dinner. That was amazing to me and quite exhilarating to be honest lol😄
5. I’ve also been loving no spend weeks. I often will just do one week at a time and then the following week I will let myself buy something that I’ve been wanting (home decor, makeup, etc…) But lately I’m doing no spend months (since we’ll be moving into our new home in a little over a month) and I want us to save up as much as possible so we can have enough to make the renovations on the house that we’re wanting. I have been loving the challenge of not spending any money though. It really forces me to get creative and to find local events that are going on for free. It makes me do more hands on and nature things with my daughter. It’s been so nice and its getting easier over time. This is now my third week in a row of not spending any money on personal things and I’ve been so proud of myself for it.
As we’ve gone over the numbers to see if we can afford a house, I’ve realized that we’ve had the money all along but because of our mindless spending, the money would just slip through our fingers and in the end we wouldn’t have enough for anything else because we had spent it all on meaningless stuff. But spending like we were was just keeping us in the same situation of living in a small outdated apartment that we really didn’t want to be in. I’m so happy that we’re finally taking control of our money so we can really do the things we want with it and not just waste it. It makes me feel so good too as a stay at home mom because I know that I’m helping my family save TONS just by spending smarter. Sometimes us stay at home moms can feel like we’re not contributing enough to the family but I can see now that I am. By being more mindful with our money, I’m enabling us to be able to buy our own home. If it wasn’t for that, we’d always be stuck in the same boat. Because even if I went out and got a job, with our reckless spending, we still wouldn’t have any money left over.
This experience has helped me to see that we need to be in control of our money so we can take it in the direction we want to go. It all comes down to priorities and about what you want most. If you really want a house, then making these changes won’t be such a big deal. But if you rather have stuff, then that’s OK but just know that you may not be able to save for other things. I hope these tips will help you guys with getting a rein on your money so that you can soon move into a home of your own. It’s such an exciting, new chapter in our lives and I cant wait to share all the details, home decor, remodels, and DIYs that we do on the place. Which tip did you find the most helpful? And if you have any tips of your own, please let me know in the comments below. I’ll take all the help I can get!😄
I’m sure most people would agree that the start of a new year is the perfect time to set new goals. It’s like a fresh start to a whole new and improved you! It’s a time I look forward to because it motivates me to work hard on bettering myself. I think it’s so important that we’re constantly growing and becoming better in life and goals help you to do just that. So I thought I’d share with you my goals for this year in hopes that maybe it’ll help motivate you with your own.
1. First and foremost I really want to work on building my blog up to the point where it becomes my business. This is a goal that I’ve had for a while now but never really stuck with it. Mostly because I thought it wouldn’t work out. I was basically setting myself up for failure. But after hearing lectures from others who built a business out of their blog, I realized that all I really need to do was put in the work and be consistent with it. I believe in myself now and I know I can do anything I set my mind to. So I’m ready to put in the work.
2. Another top goal that I have is losing 20 pounds! For those that have read my previous posts on weight loss, this may seem confusing to you. I know at one point, I renounced weight loss and said I was going to just accept my body for what it was. But you know what, that didn’t work for me. I was still uncomfortable with my weight and was just acting like I was fine with it when I really wasn’t. I was tired of feeling self conscious and always feeling nervous once the warmer weather came around because I no longer could cover up. I’ve already been working on losing the weight for about 2 weeks now and I’ve seen great progress. So I just want to make sure that I stick with it until I’m happy and confident with my body (which I’m guessing will be around 20 pounds lost).
3. I want to continue working out consistently at least 3x a week. I used to work out really consistently before I had my daughter, who is now 2 years old. It’s not her fault at all, I just think I’m more tired now and busy so it just takes more of an effort to get it done. Since she’s been born, I’ll have spurts of working out for a whole month but then I’ll stop and won’t exercise again till months later. So I just want to be more consistent with it during this new year because I know I’d make great progress. I’ve been working out now for about a month and a half so I want to make sure that I stay with it and that this isn’t just another one of those months where I workout hard and then don’t do anything for a while.
4. Along with goal #1, I want to take classes, read books, and watch videos on growing my blog and becoming a better writer. I want this to be my profession so I really want to take it serious and educate myself so I can become the best that I can be.
5. I’d like to also expand on the recipes I make for dinner too. I think I cook really good and my husband agrees too but I just want to shake it up a bit. We tend to eat chicken (or any other kind of meat), rice or couscous, and roasted veggies or salad. It’s really yummy and I love eating those kind of meals but I also know that it can get boring eating the same thing everyday. I’ve tried changing it up in any way I can, by using different grains, meat, and veggies. But we’ve pretty much tried every variation you can think of so we just need some new recipes in general to help us out.
6. I also want to switch all (or at least most of) my makeup and beauty products to natural ones. My main reason being that conventional beauty products have been known to have carcinogens, hormone disruptors, and so much more junk and it’s all making us sick. This is something I’ve been knowing for a while now. I started switching my products back when I was pregnant with my daughter. It was more important to me then since I wanted to make sure that she was able to develop as healthy as possible. But once she was born and things got busy with a new baby, that all kind of took a back seat in my priorities. Lately, I haven’t been feeling well, like my hormones are not right. So I’m doing all that I can to get them balanced and cleaning up my beauty products is a huge part in that. And if we can prevent ourselves from getting sick or developing certain diseases, then why not do it?
7. I also want to choose to watch more documentaries and educational things on TV too. I just want to constantly be learning new things and expanding my mind. It’s good for you too, just to constantly be learning new things and challenging your brain. I don’t want to waste my time watching reality TV shows and sitcoms. Those are fun and entertaining and I definitely will continue to watch those, but I also want to make sure that I’m taking the time to actually learn new things too.
8. Another big goal of mine is to save up enough money so that we can visit Massachusetts this year. That is my home and it always will be. I miss everything about Massachusetts. The city I lived in was filled with mainly Dominican people which is also my family’s nationality so it just feels like family no matter who I talk to over there. I miss that and I miss the culture, the sense of humor of the people, the greenery, and of course I miss my friends and family. I just feel like a part of me is missing and was left behind in Massachusetts and until I go back, that part of me will just remain empty. I can’t wait to simply get reconnected and back in touch with my roots. It’ll also be the first time that my daughter will be visiting my hometown so that’ll be really exciting. I think it’ll feel so nostalgic taking her to see all my favorite childhood spots. I can’t wait!
So what do you think? These are pretty much my main goals for this upcoming new year. Are any of yours similar to mine? Let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you 🙂 I hope you enjoyed this post and that you were able to get a little something out of it.